How to make a Green Meeting or Green Event?
A green meeting or event is an event that incorporates environmental considerations throughout all stages of the meeting in order to minimize the negative impact on the environment.
What is a green meeting or event?
This is short manual for event planners to create a green meeting or event:
Destination/Venue selection and travel arrangements
- Check if the city has a sustainability plan.
Vienna has a strategic plan which also considers sustainable activities. Furthermore the city publishes an environmental report on a yearly basis.
- Does the host city have a state of the art sewage treatment system? Vienna has one.
- Choose venues and accommodation in walking distance.
The HOFBURG Vienna has 8,500 hotel beds in walking distance.
- Use environmentally friendly hotels.
Those hotels are mainly certified with the Austrian eco-label Umweltzeichen.
- Check public transport that connects the venue with other facilities such as hotels, airport, etc.
Viennas public transportation system covers 80% of the mobility needs.
- Provide tickets for public transport for delegates.
The public transportation company Wiener Linien(www.wienerlinien.at) is happy to assist.
- Choose menus that include seasonal and local food and beverage.
MOTTO and DO & CO have a sustainability plan.
- Use reusable crockery and cutlery.
All catering partners use china.
- Provide reusable or recycled napkins.
Our catering partners abandon paper napkins.
- Offer water in recyclable water bottles.
It is common to use glass bottles in the HOFBURG Vienna.
- Do not use small packaged portions of sugar, milk and suchlike.
Our catering partners are happy to offer alternative options.
- Ask participants to register for meals to calculate exact quantity of food.
Thus it will be avoided to produce too much waste.
- Monitor final numbers to limit waste.
The HOFBURG Vienna established an art sewage treatment system.
- Dont use plastic bags and other non-recyclable materials.
The HOFBURG Vienna uses paper bags in elegant design.
- Reduce packaging and opt for biodegradable materials.
We are pleased to give you some suggestions.
- Collect badges after use.
We are happy to provide a box where to collect badges.
Water and power
- Choose a venue which uses green power and water saving technology. The HOFBURG Vienna uses 100% water power.
- Schedule meetings during the day and use rooms with natural daylight.
All meeting rooms in the HOFBURG Vienna have natural daylight., except for the Grosser Redoutensaal,
- Usage of energy saving lamps.
The HOFBURG Vienna is using LED lights in many rooms and the rest will be exchange in succession.
Printing and other usage of biodegradable material
- Offer online registration.
We are happy to recommend a provider and offer WIFI in all our rooms.
- Limit handouts in meetings.
Kindly offer information on flash drives or online.
- Take care that handouts are printed on recycled paper.
We recommend to use for example Mondi NAUTILUS® Papier.
- Use vegetable based ink for printing and ensure printers are set to double-sided printing.
The HOFBURG Vienna relies on the eco-label Energy Star
- Displays and decoration for the event should be made out of reusable material.
The ambience of the state rooms offers a perfect setting for your event.
- Encourage electronic signage.
We are happy to offer you screen for the electronic signage.
- Advise exhibitors about how to act green at your event.
You are very welcome to forward our guidelines to all participants.
- Calculate your carbon footprint and check where you are able to reduce your gas emissions in the future.
We are happy to recommend a provider.
- Offset event-related emissions with a carbon neutral program.
We are happy to recommend a provider.
- Engage event participants in your green efforts (onsite sustainability booth, offer of offsetting their own emissions with a fee, etc.).
For further information please refer to our homepage www.hofburg.com